Wednesday 26 October 2011

What's up with the influx of 3D movies?

I've seen so many previews for 3D movies and television shows over the past few months. Is it just me or is there more than usual? For example, My Bloody Valentine, Coraline, and the Chuck episode in 3D. Has the technology changed or something or is it just a coincidence?
What's up with the influx of 3D movies?
As far as the format it hasn't changed that much, almost all of the movies from the 3d boom of the early fifties where polarized too, with the tinted sunglasses, and have been since. I saw jaws 3d in 1983 and it was polarized. However, it does look better, clearer than before. I think a lot of it has to do with the filming process. Now with digital cameras they can replay as they shoot the scenes instead of having to develope the film, . So adjustments in 3d effects can be made and reshot on the spot and the cartoons are easier to convert than before.

Also when polar express come out in 3d in select theaters in 2004 it did very well and that is what caught the movie studios eyes. Plus they have done well since. With my blood valentine for every one person that saw it in 2d, six saw it in 3d, and remember most cities only have the 2d showing and most theaters that have the 3d showing also have it in 2d as well.

Also I read somewhere that 3d movies have done pretty well in the past, even the last two of the 1950's boom did well, but for some reason the movie studios abandoned them anyway. I guess filming and processing was more trouble than they wanted to spend on it, now with digital that changed that.
What's up with the influx of 3D movies?
Yes it has changed. The 3-D glasses used to be the ones with the red and blue lens and now they got the normal sun glass looking ones now. I think its just away of getting more people to see the movie. Because it works. I personally think My Bloody Valentine looks like a stupid movie but I want to see it cuz its in 3-D
The technology has really improved so that the 3D is really 3D.



Too bad the same weaknesses are manifest as they were 60 years ago (terrible scripts that do not take real advantage of being 3D)