Friday 7 October 2011

What was it like being a teacher in the late 1970's?

I have to make a comic about technology changes with this job, how the person felt, etc.

My comic is about the same teacher in a present day classroom looking back and daydreaming of how it was like in the simplier times.

I will be picking the best answer if you want to help me out. Thanks in advance!
What was it like being a teacher in the late 1970's?
I began teaching in 1977. No computers, no overhead projector, no copier, no Scantron grading machine. Worksheets were made using carbon paper, the master was placed on a mimeograph machine that used a clear solvent. You would turn the crank and make the copies. They smelled really good! :) Notes were written on the board with chalk for students to copy, then erased and rewritten the next class period. Films were shown on a 16mm film projector. Filmstrip projectors were available to show filmstrips, and some had a cassette tape that went along with them so there was narration. When it was time to average grades, it was all done with a calculator. A time consuming task.

In my classroom now, I have computers, Smartboard, projector, document camera, television, DVD player, VCR, Laser disk player. Grade book programs average grades. It is amazing the changes that have occurred during the last 30 years.